Managing healthy mind and body during pregnancy is not an easy task. However it could be made simple when you follow certain procedures related to regular physical exercises, Yoga, Meditation and diet practices. You need to start your fitness program right from the day your pregnancy is confirmed. You need to consult your gynaecologist regularly after every 4 four weeks till the 28th week. After that you need to visit every two weeks. She will be able to provide you with important tips for diet and exercises.
Diet during Pregnancy
Your weight will naturally increase during this period, hence you need not panic. On an average your weight might increase by 20 to 30 pounds. Out of this 8 pounds could be the average weight of baby. The remaining weight could be attributed to stored proteins, fat and vitamins for the baby, body fluids, uterus bulge, fluids in the uterus etc.
- Your food is now split into feeding your body as well as your baby. So you need extra nutrients, vitamins and proteins. Some of the important ingredients you need to ensure in your food are Vitamin A, C, D, K B6, B12, iron, folic acid, fatty acids, healthy fat, calcium and magnesium.
- Avoid unpasteurized milk, cheese, apple cider, raw eggs, shellfish etc.
- Opt for veggies and fruit juices along with your regular foods for breakfast, lunch and supper.
Exercises during Pregnancy
- Early morning walks for 2 to 3 kilometres is said to be healthy for making natural baby birth possible. You need to exercise your hip and leg regions regularly. Regular squats with the help of a chair can help to great extent. Stand straight with your legs slightly spread apart. Hold a chair and bend your knees to an angle of 45 degrees in squat position. Make sure you don’t put too much of pressure. Hold for 30 seconds and move back to standing position. Repeat this exercise for about 5 minutes in one set.
- Sit on the edge of chair and keep your back straight. Spread your apart slightly. Hold weights of 3 to 5 pounds in both hands in such a way that the palms are facing inwards. Lift the weights slowly till your shoulders. Hold for 30 seconds and move back to original position. Repeat this exercise for about 10 minutes.
- Practice sitting on a Yoga mat in lotus position. Spread your palms in such a way that the back of palms touches your knee. Sit in this position for about 10 minutes and practice deep breathing. It helps in relaxing your brain to a great extent.
Things to Avoid
Avoid smoking and keep your alcohol consumption to wine and beer. Avoid hard drinks as it might affect the growing baby. Stay away from fried and smoked foods. Protect your skin with sunscreen and appropriate clothing to prevent direct sun and UV exposure. It is better to avoid skin tight clothes and start wearing loose fitting ones which can absorb moisture and sweat.